Wednesday 9 September 2015

Why Every Man Should Know How To Sew.




The way our world seems to work now(aside from maybe cars) is that once something gets a little worn out or broken we throw it away and just buy a replacement. This could not be truer in the case of clothing.
_

Sewing and repairing clothes goes right the way back to the stone age. Sewing up clothing with bits of animal sinew.
Even in this time and age it is important to practise and use the skill of sewing and repair. 
I have a old pair of jeans that has been in my possession for a good 3-4 years and they are, I suppose, shabby. They have big holes in the knees and lots of parts are beginning to fray. But they were not cheap when I bought them. They were hand made Japanese denim, and I refuse to throw them away.

I have resewed the pocket twice, does several small stitches on cuts on the legs and (poorly) attempted to so up the bum.
_



Big cut I know.
Now many men(wrongly) believe that sewing is a job for women(that is not something I agree with). This goes back to when women stayed at home and cleaned, cooked, and did knitting. But you should never rely on someone to do something for you all the time. Sewing should not only be recognised as a manly thing(or not gender specific) but also a practical important skill.

I'm not talking about learning 17 different stitches and 4 different ways to achieve each with 5 different types of needle. Just any simple stitch that is effective in keeping the damage from opening(I'd suggest doubling up the thread). It does not have to be pretty, only functional, if you are able to sew things up, your clothes and shoes will last a lot longer saving you money and time(also lets be honest here, everyone loves a practical man).

I have a pair of sheepskin boots that had torn all the way down the right side. Because it was just sheepskin(or suede whatever you want to call it) I could sew it up really easily and it has continued for 2 years since and still going strong. 
You should always have a needle and thread even if it's just for sewing a button back onto your shirt while your out. Be secure in your masculinity, it doesn't matter if you can sew. You'll be able to fix your jacket while dim, sexist men have to go buy a whole new one.
_





_


Follow my Twitter: @strollingmen

And my Instagram: @strollingmenblog

_


- Start Being Practical -




- Louis -



No comments:

Post a Comment